Sunday, February 8, 2009

Create Your Own Path

For those of you that are fortunate enough to have some job autonomy, be thankful for the time you are given. But more importantly, ask yourself, “What am I doing with this opportunity?” Most of us, and I am no exception, have now or in the past, used job autonomy as an excuse to coast or relax. It is only human nature. For the most part, we as professionals work extremely hard to earn comfortable livings for ourselves and our families. When there is a time to take a break, we tend to take it.

I am here to challenge each of you to take advantage of that found autonomy to make something great for yourselves or for someone else around you. The weekly challenge I make to myself is something I call the “Mirror Principle.” In my current position, there are not set benchmarks or required numbers to hit (I did have daily benchmarks in previous positions). I do have deadlines and project completion dates currently, but I don’t necessarily have something due each and every week. But, if at the end of the week, I am able to look at myself in the mirror and know that I did the things that I need to do to be successful in my position, then I consider it a successful week. Sometimes I consider it a successful week even when I miss an objective or a deadline…but that is because I took advantage of a situation and uncovered or expanded upon a new or existing idea that somehow impacts my role or the role of one of my colleague’s in a positive manner. I am not naïve enough to suggest to everyone that they work harder, longer hours in the name of getting more accomplished for the greater good. I am suggesting that if and when given the opportunity, create your own path and accomplish something that you can feel great about. It will not only further motivate you in your own job, but will motivate others around you and propel you beyond “the normal.”

Jobs and careers are what you make of them. Take the time to make your path one that others want to walk down.

No comments:

Post a Comment